scRNA-seq Biocurator/Ontologist (Cambridge, UK)
We are seeking to recruit a new member to our team at the University of Cambridge to contribute to the FlyBase Drosophila database (https://flybase.org). If you are looking for a fulfilling, fly-related career away from the bench, and enjoy the challenge of organizing complex data and presenting it clearly and concisely, then this is the job for you!
A large and growing community of Drosophila biologists is producing single cell transcriptomic data with potentially high value to the research community. This includes both individual labs and also large-scale community efforts focussed on sharing and annotating single cell RNA sequencing (scRNA-seq) datasets covering the whole fly, such as Fly Cell Atlas (https://flycellatlas.org/). The successful applicant will work closely with the Gene Expression Team (https://www.ebi.ac.uk/about/people/irene-papatheodorou) at EMBL-EBI, in particular those members responsible for the Single Cell Expression Atlas (scAtlas) (https://www.ebi.ac.uk/gxa/sc/home), in order to maximise the usefulness of the scRNA-seq data to the community.
The work will include:
- Identifying and prioritising published Drosophila scRNA-seq datasets for curation
- Curation of scRNA-seq experimental metadata into the EMBL-EBI scAtlas and/or FlyBase as appropriate
- Working with biocurators and software developers at FlyBase and the EMBL-EBI scAtlas to: harmonise the scRNA-seq data models used at each database, provide access to scRNA-seq data on FlyBase, add links between FlyBase and the scAtlas
- Extending the Drosophila Anatomy Ontology as needed to provide accurate terms for annotation of scRNA-seq data
- Working with EMBL-EBI Gene Expression Team members to help develop interactive fly anatomograms.
Closing date: 4th November 2020
More details and how to apply info: http://www.jobs.cam.ac.uk/job/27175/
AWS DevOps Engineer (Indiana University site)
The FlyBase group at Indiana University has a position available for a Research Associate specializing in Developer Operations (DevOps).
The selected candidate will be responsible for working with the FlyBase web development group to create, maintain and extend all aspects of the public interface of FlyBase. Responsibilities to include administration of Amazon Web Services infrastructure (installing, configuring, monitoring, networking, security, backups, optimizing, documenting, etc.), helping to design, implement, run, and maintain ETL pipelines, and working with the development team to improve or develop new solutions to meet project goals.
BA or BS in Computer Science or a related field and at least 2 years of AWS and Linux experience required.
Must also have experience with scripting languages such as Python, Perl, Bash, etc. Applicant must be well organized, detail-oriented, have strong interpersonal skills, and be able to work effectively independently and on a team.